Mathieu Tozer's Dev Blog

Cocoa, the development of Words, and other software projects (including those dang assessment tasks).




Started Reading


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Opened
[1] Mac OS X Technology Overview
[2] Apple User Interface Guidelines

All available from The OS X Developer Connection Website.

[1] Read pp 1 - 32 (Chapters 1 & 2)
Learnt that developing for OS X isn't all about Cocoa. There are other Application Environments like Carbon, Java, AppleScript, WebObjects, BSD and X11. All things I have heard of before, but now I know better who they are for and what kinds of applications they could make, for example. There are Plug-Ins, Widgets, Agent Applications (the dock, and iChat notifications, for example) and Screen Savers.

I can use this list of technology components when designing Words. This document will be a good reference for the design of my applications. It will teach me how I can use the technologies in OS X to create great products.

It pointed out that there is alot of information out on the net. #1 = Developer Documentation. This source alone is enough refrence and reading material!

With my recent greater understanding of OSs, the layered look of OS X that chapter 1 offered was interesting because I knew about the Core OS services (kernel, device drivers, low level stuff). The other layers really structured in my head the conceptual levels of the whole system. From Core OS to Core services (strings, process management), App Services (HTML rendering, speech synth), Graphics (Quartz, OpenGL), App Environments (Cocoa, Java) User Experience (Aqua, appearance) - this one more of an abstraction really.


0 Responses to “Started Reading”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


+RSS | dev blog | Portfolio

About me

My status

Previous posts

  • my del.icio.us
  • my flickr