Mathieu Tozer's Dev Blog

Cocoa, the development of Words, and other software projects (including those dang assessment tasks).




Weekly Review: 07-23


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



-Reached a milestone for words by implementing lookup for words in dict protocol dictionaries.
-Learnt first hand the perils of incorrect memory management in Cocoa Objective-C.
-Identified limitations and features that need to be implemented beyond the basics that I have working.
-Realised yet again that I should be using the software day to day in order to determine which features are most crucial to the software.
-Found a project which is trying to bring XML to the dict protocol, something which would be desirable in words.
-Considered supporting the protocol in the future.
-Began thinking again about a more advanced grouping system for Words, and laying out an initial design, and conceiving of a proposed framework for the system.
-Started a new sub project separate from the Words project called “Groups” in which to implement the grouping system in isolation.
-Reached a 'kind of working' state for groups, where smart and manual groups were displayed in the same window.
-Jubilantly discovered a power outlet in the spot in building 75 where I'd been lurking for the past few days.
-Doubted myself for diverting from the sample code provided by Apple for implementing smart groups with Core data, as I felt it was convoluted and that there “must be a simpler way”. (It turned out after speaking with the Core Data engineers that this was perfectly fine).
-Wrote the project description for the subject web page, and the project is made officially my final year Project
-Made use of online mailing list forums to solve issues successfully.
-Gained confidence that the group framework I was building was one that will work, although I worried about scalability.
-The ugly emotional side of software development reared its head this week, and I steel myself against times in the future when things just don't work and loose confidence.
-Began Version 2 of Words specification document.
-Noted change from previous heavy UI design to 'under the hood' implementation, back to UI again for the specification document.


0 Responses to “Weekly Review: 07-23”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


+RSS | dev blog | Portfolio

About me

My status

Previous posts

  • my del.icio.us
  • my flickr