Mathieu Tozer's Dev Blog

Cocoa, the development of Words, and other software projects (including those dang assessment tasks).




Returning to Defining Words With My New Found Dictionaries


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Now that I have set the architecture up for importing and exporting
languages and dictionaries, and then setting them into the project
bundle to be part of the next release of the software, I feel I must
return to the actual looking up of words, when that happens, and all
that.

Primarily, I want it to, as per the spec
a) Attempt to define words *as they are entered*, and display and
indicator to that effect.
b) Attempt to define undefined words.
c) Be able to wipe definitions clean.
d) Fix the network awareness.
e) Let the user know when nothing was found.
f) The definitions view, but that's another whole kettle of fish.
g) Implement the buttons which add the main definitions
h) When defining words, display a spiral progress indicator and let
the user keep working with Words.

yes yes Indicators Indicators INDICATORS! It's time to start telling
the user what's happening when Words takes control of the computer.

Another thing to think about is what I'm aiming for for first time
users.
1) Launch Words
2) See Some Example Languages Already Set Up (Maybe??)
OR show the add languages view
3)See the example words be defined automatically by the system.

I wouldn't mind having an even closer to user interface like a bubble
that appears above the highlighted word text.

It might be best for me to have a worker thread for defining words.


0 Responses to “Returning to Defining Words With My New Found Dictionaries”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


+RSS | dev blog | Portfolio

About me

My status

Previous posts

  • my del.icio.us
  • my flickr