Mathieu Tozer's Dev Blog

Cocoa, the development of Words, and other software projects (including those dang assessment tasks).




Words.sql


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Haven't updated for a while... here's why:
As part of the DB assignment I am building the server side of Words.
I have made an ER diagram of the data I want to be in the database,
converted it to relational tables, then written the SQL code (for
ORACLE) for create the tables.
I have written code to export example data right from the Words
application which can be read by the Oracle database. I have written
'setter' API calls (embedded procedures) for the database which will
conveniently enter this data too, setting the default attributes for
each data item.
I am engineering the database so that it exists in a series of .sql
files, and the entire thing can be set up with a single @words.sql
call at the Oracle command line. You can also clean the whole thing
up by calling @delete.sql.

My next challenge is to develop a more robust API that any client can
call to.
This challenge is from a few angles which I can see:
Insertion of data
Updating the data
Synchronising data between client and server.
Performing complex queries on the data to retrieve meaningful
information which can be used by a client
Searching the data for specific information.

Kinda looks like an API table of contents doesn't it!

Anyway it's due friday so I had better get on it.


0 Responses to “Words.sql”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


+RSS | dev blog | Portfolio

About me

My status

Previous posts

  • my del.icio.us
  • my flickr