Mathieu Tozer's Dev Blog

Cocoa, the development of Words, and other software projects (including those dang assessment tasks).




Refactoring Groups


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Bah! Silly me hadn't even put the framework I was including into my
linked frameworks folder. Is compiling and linking fine now.

The best way to describe the grouping system is IFFEY.

I should redesign it so that one array controller contains all the
list objects in the system.

Anyway.
My goal today is to have the dictionary lookup system working
satisfactorily. It must only look up dictionary definitions or
attempt to if the system can connect to the server.

I kind of need to be able to toggle the internet connection somehow,
which means developing within an active internet connection.

How do I do progress indicators? How do I have something processing
in the background but still have the system responsive?
Is this where multi threading can help??

Well, accumulatively I think I've spent 15 minutes refactoring the
groups system, almost purely using bindings and a proper core data
model, and what I spent weeks trying to achieve myself (and
succeeded, mind you), I've made work in 15 minutes.

The lesson learnt here is... well... don't be too afraid or too proud
to completely write off all the code you've spent a long, hard time
writing (on a Greyhound bus in California), because bad code is bad
code, no matter how long it took to write it.

Been thinking of new titles for myself and my web blog, which is kind
of due for an update I think. I want a wordpress blog with tabs to
the different sections.

An interesting mix of Model/Computer Programmer (Yeah, I know)
Model/Computer Programmer (Yeah, I know)
Mac OS X Application Engineer / Model LOL

Just what am I!?


0 Responses to “Refactoring Groups”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


+RSS | dev blog | Portfolio

About me

My status

Previous posts

  • my del.icio.us
  • my flickr