Mathieu Tozer's Dev Blog

Cocoa, the development of Words, and other software projects (including those dang assessment tasks).




Is Done, Is Groups


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Right now the SmartGroups object is trying to do some optimisation schwisseling to determine whether things need updating or not.

It works by setting wordSet to nil if the refresh function determines that the wordset needs updating, if it doesn't then it leaves the current wordset attached to the wordSet variable, and the 'words' function that is called by the bindings is simply returned this old, unrefreshed set.

What seems to be happening in my program is that the refresh function isn't setting wordSet to an appropriate setting.

Ok, so there are a few issues with the groups system. Adding words aren't updating themselves without a restart, which is pretty bad, considering delete works. For some reason they won't fetch. But I am sick of trying to find out why for the moment. So I'm going to leave it and move on.

I seem to be able to type predicates into the predicate box, and they set themselves fine, and the view resets itself to show a nice list of the words that match the predicate in that language.

Features associated with this system that I would like to implement are
1) Drag and drop from manual group to manual group, which adds the receiving manual group object to the set of manualGroups that the word object maintains.

2)User Friendly, graphical user interface for the predicate editor. This would only be able to be built after the groups sub project is incorporated into the main project.
This is because the predicates would have to be set to a more diverse set of object attributes than in the example. It's only once you have interesting meta data that predicates can really show their power.

Along the way i have had some issues with the SVN repository. I have made several project ressurective rollbacks, so I greatly value and ,make use of it's benifits, but I still have some way to go before I can use it seamlessly.

The next task before me is to incorporate the groups sub project into the words project.
I don't think it really makes sense to import it as a framework, because the code is pretty application specific, and while the underlying idea beneath it is useable, I don't think it warrants factoring it out as a framework.


0 Responses to “Is Done, Is Groups”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


+RSS | dev blog | Portfolio

About me

My status

Previous posts

  • my del.icio.us
  • my flickr