Mathieu Tozer's Dev Blog

Cocoa, the development of Words, and other software projects (including those dang assessment tasks).




Roll Back to Old Groups


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



After trying to refactor the groups system, I have decided to roll
back to a previous and stable version. I am spending too much time
trying to get it working again, and the benefits of doing so are
slowly dissapearing, as my original solution worked just as well as
the refactored one would.

Through this exercise I have learnt again the value of version
control, and also the lesson of not refactoring too soon on in the
development process, especially if the current solution is working
and efficient. In fact, I was refactoring simply for the engineering
simplicity of the refactored model.

So now I have to
Take some screens to show what I was attempting
Take a copy of the nib, as the UI has been changed since re-factoring
as well.
Export a copy of a previous revision of words from the repository.
Import the new export in a branch of the Words directory
Delete the export
Checkout a new working copy of the roll back.
Incorporate the new network awareness components into the new
checkout model
Continue development...

I've also learnt that working on more than one thing at a time can be
an issue because if you need to roll back past those changes, you
have trouble!

Actually I was smart in not letting that happen, by not committing
broken versions of the grouping system.

So actually all I needed to do was
Delete the crappy one
Checkout a working copy from the correct revision.
Revert to my old backup sql database that I had prudently kept
against this event.
It all ran and loaded with no problem with all my old words and
languages in there!


0 Responses to “Roll Back to Old Groups”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


+RSS | dev blog | Portfolio

About me

My status

Previous posts

  • my del.icio.us
  • my flickr